Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for General Industry
Note: This course has prerequisite requirements. See section below titled "Prerequisites".
This trainer course is designed for personnel interested in teaching the OSHA 10- or 30-Hour General Industry Outreach courses. Special emphasis is placed on required topics in the OSHA Outreach Program. Various instructional approaches and
the effective use of visual aids and handouts will also be covered. Course participants will work in groups or independently to practice their presentation of selected
topics. (Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop to work on presentation materials.) Written and performance examinations are given during the course. Successful completion of the course and the final examinations allow the participant to be recognized as an OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer for General Industry.
General Industry Outreach Trainers must take the OSHA #503 Update for General Industry Outreach Trainers every four years to maintain their status as an Outreach Trainer.
- Locate OSHA safety and health standards, policies, and procedures
- Describe the use of OSHA standards and regulations to supplement an ongoing
safety and health program
- Identify common violations of OSHA standards, such as lockout/tagout,
walking and working surfaces, hazardous materials, and welding
- Conduct internal training on OSHA regulations and recordkeeping
- Introduction to OSHA standards
- Overview of the OSH Act and 29
- CFR 1903
- Citations and proposed penalties
- Training techniques
- Means of egress and fire protection
- Personal protective equipment
- Material handling
- Overview of the outreach training program
- Electrical safety standards and work practices
- Hazard communications
- Introduction to industrial hygiene
- Machine guarding
- Walking/working surfaces
- OSHA recordkeeping
- Welding permit-required confined spaces
- 25 specific items the student trainer must demonstrate during the presentation of their training session
- 75 points are possible
- Passing score is 50 points
Students must agree to the following understandings:
- 50 multiple choice questions each worth one full point
- Passing score is 40 points (80%)
- Alternative version (randomized questions/answers) used for any retest
- This is a "Closed Book" test, use of any student materials (i.e., manual, CFR) is prohibited
- All test documents and answer sheets are the property of the OTI Education Center delivering the course. If the student does not return the test or answer sheet they will not be eligible to earn a passing score.
- No student will be allowed to leave the room during testing.
- Students are allowed to have on their desks: the test and answer sheet, writing instrument, and cell phone that is set to "silent" or "vibrate".
- Students will not be permitted to display any of the following items during the tests: notes, books, electronic communication devices, recording devices (visual or audio), calculators (including multifunctional watches), or any other item deemed unauthorized by the Test Administrator.
- During the performance test, students not presenting shall respect the student trainer efforts by quietly participating in the presentation and completing the Peer Critique Sheet.
- During the knowledge test, only use the answer sheet to record your answers.
- Do not behave in any manner that would be deemed as cheating or attempting to cheat.
Completion of the OSHA #511 OSHA Standards for General Industry (copy of completion certificate required).
Five (5) years of general industry safety and health experience. A degree in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2) years of work related experience. Experience must be documented on the Prerequisite Verification Form
and submitted to our office:
||The University of Texas at Arlington
||OSHA Training Institute Education Center
||140 West Mitchell Street
||Arlington, TX 76019
- 29 CFR 1910 General Industry Safety Standard (provided by UT Arlington)
- Due to course content we highly recommend bringing a laptop and 4 GB thumb drive.
Currently ScheduledOnline/Memberships/DonationsNot Currently Scheduled
Not Currently Scheduled
These courses are not currently scheduled, but may be offered at a future date. Click the course Title link for more information.
Back to Top