Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry
Note: This course has prerequisite requirements. See section titled "Prerequisites".
This course is designed for individuals interested in teaching the OSHA 10- and 30-hour construction safety and health Outreach Training Program to their employees and other interested groups. Using OSHA Construction Standards as a guide, special emphasis is placed on those topics required in the 10-and 30-hour programs as well as those which are most hazardous. Students are briefed on effective instructional approaches and use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the student to become a trainer in the OSHA Outreach Training Program, to conduct both 10-and 30-hour Construction Outreach classes, and to issue cards to participants after verifying course completion.
Construction Industry Outreach trainers must take the OSHA #502 Update Course for the Construction Industry every four years to
maintain their status as an Outreach Trainer.
- Define construction term found in the OSHA standards
- Present effective safety and health training programs in accordance with OSHA's
construction standards, regulations, and guidelines
- Identify hazards that occur in the construction industry and determine appropriate
- Prepare reports citing conditions found
- Identify methods to correct hazards
- Introduction to OSHA standards
- Safety programs
- OSHA inspections, targeting, and penalties
- Training techniques
- Hazard communication
- Health hazards in construction and personal protective equipment
- Walking and working surfaces
- Overview of the outreach training program
- Cranes and rigging
- Ladders and stairways
- Confided space entry
- Health hazards in construction
- Personal protective equipment
- Concrete construction
- Steel erection
- OSHA recordkeeping
- 25 specific items the student trainer must demonstrate during the presentation of their training session
- 75 points are possible
- Passing score is 50 points
Students must agree to the following understandings:
- 50 multiple choice questions each worth one full point
- Passing score is 40 points (80%)
- Alternative version (randomized questions/answers) used for any retest
- This is a "Closed Book" test, use of any student materials (i.e., manual, CFR) is prohibited
- All test documents and answer sheets are the property of the OTI Education Center delivering the course. If the student does not return the test or answer sheet they will not be eligible to earn a passing score.
- No student will be allowed to leave the room during testing.
- Students are allowed to have on their desks: the test and answer sheet, writing instrument, and cell phone that is set to "silent" or "vibrate".
- Students will not be permitted to display any of the following items during the tests: notes, books, electronic communication devices, recording devices (visual or audio), calculators (including multifunctional watches), or any other item deemed unauthorized by the Test Administrator.
- During the performance test, students not presenting shall respect the student trainer efforts by quietly participating in the presentation and completing the Peer Critique Sheet.
- During the knowledge test, only use the answer sheet to record your answers.
- Do not behave in any manner that would be deemed as cheating or attempting to cheat.
Completion of the OSHA #510 Standards for the Construction Industry (copy of completion certificate required).
Five (5) years of construction industry safety and health experience. A degree in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2) years of work related experience. Experience must be documented on the Prerequisite Verification Form
and submitted to our office:
||The University of Texas at Arlington
||OSHA Training Institute Education Center
||140 West Mitchell Street
||Arlington, TX 76019
- 29 CFR 1926 Construction Industry Safety Standard (provided by UT Arlington)
- Due to course content we highly recommend bringing a laptop and 4 GB thumb drive.
Currently ScheduledOnline/Memberships/DonationsNot Currently Scheduled
Not Currently Scheduled
These courses are not currently scheduled, but may be offered at a future date. Click the course Title link for more information.
Back to Top