Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for General Industry
30 Hours | $695
Contract Price: $9,000
This trainer course is designed for personnel interested in teaching the OSHA 10- or 30-Hour General Industry Outreach
courses. Special emphasis is placed on required topics in the OSHA Outreach Program. Various instructional approaches and
the effective use of visual aids and handouts will also be covered. Course participants will work in groups or independently
to practice their presentation of selected topics. (Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop to work on presentation
materials.) Written and performance examinations are given during the course. Successful completion of the course and the
final examinations allow the participant to be recognized as an OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer for General Industry.
- Locate OSHA safety and health standards, policies, and procedures
- Describe the use of OSHA standards and regulations to supplement an ongoing safety and health program
- Identify common violations of OSHA standards, such as lockout/tagout, walking and working surfaces, hazardous
materials, and welding
- Conduct internal training on OSHA regulations and recordkeeping
- Introduction to OSHA standards
- Overview of the OSH Act and 29
- CFR 1903
- Citations and proposed penalties
- Training techniques
- Means of egress and fire protection
- Personal protective equipment
- Material handling
- Overview of the outreach training program
- Electrical safety standards and work practices
- Hazard communications
- Introduction to industrial hygiene
- Machine guarding
- Walking/working surfaces
- OSHA recordkeeping
- Welding permit-required confined spaces
- 25 specific items the student trainer must demonstrate during the presentation of their training session
- 75 points are possible
- Passing score is 50 points
- 50 multiple choice questions each worth one full point
- Passing score is 40 points (80%)
- Alternative version (randomized questions/answers) used for any retest
- This is a "Closed Book" test, use of any student materials (i.e., manual, CFR) is prohibited
Students must agree to the following understandings:
- All test documents and answer sheets are the property of the OTI Education Center delivering the course. If the
student does not return the test or answer sheet they will not be eligible to earn a passing score.
- No student will be allowed to leave the room during testing.
- Students are allowed to have on their desks: the test and answer sheet, writing instrument, and cell phone that
is set to "silent" or "vibrate".
- Students will not be permitted to display any of the following items during the tests: notes, books, electronic
communication devices, recording devices (visual or audio), calculators (including multifunctional watches), or any
other item deemed unauthorized by the Test Administrator.
- During the performance test, students not presenting shall respect the student trainer efforts by quietly
participating in the presentation and completing the Peer Critique Sheet.
- During the knowledge test, only use the answer sheet to record your answers.
- Do not behave in any manner that would be deemed as cheating or attempting to cheat.
- Completion of the OSHA #511 Standards for General
Industry (copy of completion certificate required).
- Five (5) years of general industry safety and health experience. A Bachelor's degree or highr in occupational safety and health, a
Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2)
years of work related experience. Experience must be documented on the Prerequisite Verification Form (download) and submitted
to our office:
The University of Texas at Arlington
OSHA Training Institute Education Center
140 West Mitchell Street
Arlington, TX 76019
Email: OSHA@uta.edu | Fax: (817) 272-2556
- A complete Prerequisite Verification Form must be submitted at least ten (10) business days prior to class.
Approval can take up to ten (10) business days once the complete Prerequisite Verification Form is received.
- 29 CFR 1910 General Industry Safety Standard (provided by UT Arlington)
- Due to course content we highly recommend bringing a laptop and 4 GB thumb drive.
- Participants must present a government-issued photo ID in order to attend this training.