The course provides information on the classification, detection, and monitoring of hazardous materials and the use of personal protective equipment and safety practices. A large portion will be hands-on exercises and simulations. The Environmental Protection Agency in 40 CFR 311.1 extended OSHA coverage to state government employees. Other references include 29 CFR 1910.120(e), RCRA and CERCLA.
Due to the nature of the activities in this class, it can not be held at the TxDOT facilities. Beards are prohibited because beards hinder the proper wear of respirators.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Recognize and evaluate hazards;
2. Apply toxicology and exposure guidelines;
3. Use field monitoring instruments and practical exercises;
4. Explain the importance of site entry and site control;
5. Describe protective clothing and levels of protection;
6. Explain air purifying respirators and self-contained breathing apparatus;
7. Describe decontamination procedures; and
8. Participate in hazardous material incident scenarios and simulations.
COURSE DURATION (in hours):
Employees required to enter an uncontrolled hazardous waste site as part of their duties, or involved in emergency response operations such as construction inspectors, bridge inspectors, right-of-way inspectors, and courtesy patrols. The class would be valuable for first responders who need to be aware of potential hazards.
8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday thru Friday
|No courses currently scheduled.|
These courses may be offered at a future date. Click the course Title link for more information.
Back to Top