This instructor-led 8-hour course provides information to familiarize students on how to recognize hazards in the workplace and how to prevent unsafe work practices using the TxDOT Safety Process.
The course includes required OSHA topics and TxDOT specific topics with an on-line component. Must pass the online prerequisite course SFH398 - Introduction to Occupational Health and Safety and SFH401 with a score of 80%, students to pass the course. After completing SFH398, SFH401 must be completed within 6 months.
After completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the TxDOT Safety Process and utilize the process in daily operations to prevent unsafe work practices.
2. Recognize work zone hazards and the appropriate measures to ensure a safe work environment.
3. Recognize safe work practices near rail operations.
4. Recognize fall hazards and methods to prevent falls.
5. Identify stairway and ladder safety measures.
6. Recognize safe trenching and excavation measures.
7. Discuss safe material handling.
8. Identify safe work practices to prevent caught-in or between and struck-by hazards in construction.
9. Recognize appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for specific work situations.
10. Explain the potential for electrocution on a construction site.
COURSE DURATION (in hours):
All construction and maintenance employees including area engineers, inspectors, and supervisors.
SFH398, Intro to Occ Safety & Health
8:00am - 5:00pm
TxDOT HRD, firstname.lastname@example.org
These courses may be offered at a future date. Click the course Title link for more information.
Back to Top