Sorry, this course is inactive. Please contact our office to see if it will be reinstated, or if alternative classes are available.
Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry
30 Hours | $695
Contract Price: $9,000
This course prepares the participants to become a trainer in the OSHA Outreach Training Program, conduct both the 10- and 30-hour Construction Outreach classes and issue OSHA Outreach Cards to participants after verifying course completion. Using the OSHA Construction Standards as a guide, the course emphasizes those topics required in the 10- and 30-hour programs, as well as those which are most hazardous. Participants receive training on effective instructional approaches and the use of visual aids and handouts. Participants must prepare a presentation on an assigned OSHA Construction Outreach Training Program topic and pass a written exam.
- Define construction term found in the OSHA standards
- Present effective safety and health training programs in accordance with OSHA's construction standards, regulations, and guidelines
- Identify hazards that occur in the construction industry and determine appropriate standards
- Prepare reports citing conditions found
- Identify methods to correct hazards
- Introduction to OSHA standards
- Safety programs
- OSHA inspections, targeting, and penalties
- Training techniques
- Hazard communication
- Health hazards in construction and personal protective equipment
- Walking and working surfaces
- Overview of the outreach training program
- Cranes and rigging
- Ladders and stairways
- Confided space entry
- Health hazards in construction
- Personal protective equipment
- Concrete construction
- Steel erection
- OSHA recordkeeping
- 25 specific items the student trainer must demonstrate during the presentation of their training session
- 75 points are possible
- Passing score is 50 points
- 50 multiple choice questions each worth one full point
- Passing score is 40 points (80%)
- Alternative version (randomized questions/answers) used for any retest
- This is a "Closed Book" test, use of any student materials (i.e., manual, CFR) is prohibited
Students must agree to the following understandings:
- All test documents and answer sheets are the property of the OTI Education Center delivering the course. If the student does not return the test or answer sheet they will not be eligible to earn a passing score.
- No student will be allowed to leave the room during testing.
- Students are allowed to have on their desks: the test and answer sheet, writing instrument, and cell phone that is set to "silent" or "vibrate".
- Students will not be permitted to display any of the following items during the tests: notes, books, electronic communication devices, recording devices (visual or audio), calculators (including multifunctional watches), or any other item deemed unauthorized by the Test Administrator.
- During the performance test, students not presenting shall respect the student trainer efforts by quietly participating in the presentation and completing the Peer Critique Sheet.
- During the knowledge test, only use the answer sheet to record your answers.
- Do not behave in any manner that would be deemed as cheating or attempting to cheat.
- Completion of the OSHA #510 Standards for the Construction Industry (copy of completion certificate required).
- Five (5) years of construction industry safety and health experience. A degree in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2) years of work related experience. Experience must be documented on the Prerequisite Verification Form (download) and submitted to our office:
The University of Texas at Arlington
OSHA Training Institute Education Center
140 West Mitchell Street
Arlington, TX 76019
Email: OSHA@uta.edu | Fax: (817) 272-2556
- A complete Prerequisite Verification Form must be submitted at least seven (7) business days prior to class. Approval can take up to seven (7) business days once the complete Prerequisite Verification Form is received.
- 29 CFR 1926 Construction Industry Safety Standard (provided by UT Arlington)
- Due to course content we highly recommend bringing a laptop and 4 GB thumb drive.
- Participants must present a government-issued photo ID in order to attend this training.